Wednesday, February 9

Paratransit rant, and a theory

I have several different transportation options as a blind person. There’s the public transit service (called Dallas Area Rapid Transit, or DART), there’s the Paratransit service, a division of DART, which basically allows those disabled people that don’t drive an option for transportation; and then there are the lesser known but equally valuable walking and friends/family. I use a combination of all these options in my daily life: taking Paratransit to and from work, taking the bus to a nearby rail station for shopping or to go to the grocery store, and various other things. Well, since I’ve moved from living in my parent’s house to an efficiency, which I’ve been at for going on 5 months now (can’t believe its been that long already), I’ve had different experiences with the Paratransit services.

When living at the other house, they always picked me up on time and often were sitting out there before it was time for my designated pick up time. However, now that I’m in the new place, this has changed. Which leads me to a new theory that has proven to be correct more often than not.

If I’m on time in my getting ready process and go out at the exact pick up time, then I end up waiting for the Paratransit ride. However, if I’m the least bit lagging or late, and happen to walk out two or three minutes past the designated time, they get all upset. They have a rule that states that the passenger has to be ready and in the process of boarding at and up to 5 minutes after they arrive. However, they allow themselves a 20 minute window to arrive, in which the passenger has to be ready and waiting for them. Since I’m in a smaller place, it usually takes me about 30 seconds from the time I pull my coat and gather my things, lock the door, and head down the sidewalk to board my ride. So I’m not that concerned whether or not I’ll make their 5 minute window, though I nearly always am out there at the beginning of this window in case the driver were to get impatient and drive off.

The driver on the other hand, pulls up, sees I’m not there, gets impatient (well, to be fare, some do and some don’t, but I seem to get the ones that do more often than not), calls the dispatcher telling them to call me and remind me that my rides sitting out there. Meanwhile, I’m pulling my coat on and gathering my things, getting ready to step outside. Several times, I’ve had my keys in hand and have even been in the process of locking the door, when I hear the phone ring. Who else would be calling me at 7:30 in the morning? So, like a fool, I quickly unlock the door, nearly drop my things while running to get the phone, only to pick it up and hear, “This is DART Paratransit. You’re rides out front. (Why aren’t you?)” I should say that I’ve added this last part. They’ve never said that to me, though I’ve come close to having a few choice words to say to them.

Anyway, here’s my theory: whenever I’m on time, they’re late, and whenever I’m even slightly late, they’re impatient and demanding that I get outside and board the ride. Once, the driver thought she would take charge and threatened to give me a “no show,” which you get if you don’t show up during the 5 minute period that they give you to scramble to the car. At which I said, “You know what? I don’t care. Go ahead.” She was surprised and questioned why I would have taken the no show. I responded with this: “Listen. You know how many no shows I’ve gotten in the year and a half I’ve been using this service? Try none. So one really isn’t going to upset me too much. Besides, I had decided when I got up this morning that if I missed this ride, I’d probably call a cab.” That seemed to satisfy her. I should add though that the Paratransit people reset your no show count each month. So, in theory, its possible to get one or two no shows a month and not get your service suspended, which they do after you get three.

And this is the type of service your tax dollars go to fund. Wow. Leaves me speechless, :) At least until the next entry.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:04 PM

    Man, Sounds like you've had a rough time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:13 AM

    Very nice. I like your style. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My advice? Be very assertive with your paratransit provider. We are and it has paid off over and over again. If your driver threatens any actions against you, report her. Insist on speaking with the customer advocate, customer service manager or a person in a similar position with the company. If anything negative happens to you and it is outside the paratransit provider's policies, report it and insist on appropriate positive resolution. Don't accept anything that is wrong!

    ReplyDelete