Monday, June 13

My Football Season Has Begun

No, I'm not crazy. Jim Kitchen has released a text-to-speech Windows oriented football game for the PC. I've been waiting a long time for an accessible football game, and now one has been developed. As with all of Jim Kitchen's games, this is free. If you're interested, you can view and download any of Jim's games. Note that this page is for the text-to-speech Windows games that Jim has. There are other pages of games on his site.

I really like the football game though. It reminds me of the old DOS based football game, in fact, this Windows version has many of the same plays as the DOS version had. This version also includes: crowd noise, cheering, sounds of players hitting and tackling each other, and other noises. There are some things I would change/improve, such as add a feature to check how much time is left in each quarter, so that I can better plan my plays. I would also add a control for the crowd volume, or perhaps add a volume control for the speech synthesizers. There were quite a few times that I had to lean in close to my computer speakers to hear what the play-by-play voice was saying. Over all though, a great attempt at a classic game.

Now we get to the really exciting stuff: this new Windows version can keep track of a season schedule, and if you're good enough, follow your progress through the post season (playoffs) and if you're really good, into the Superbowl.

I chose the Cowboys as my team that I play, and after 2 games, I am 0-2. Though they've been games I've lost, I have played great defense, not allowing many points (10 in the first game and 13 in the second). But, when it's all said and done, only the W's and L's really count. However, I have confidence that I can come out with a good record. We'll have to see how good.

Anyway, for those interested, I can provide updates on how I'm doing in my own football season. Also, for those interested, this updated football game use all 32 teams, in the most recent configuration of conferences, where each region of each conference has 4 teams. I suppose that since the Cowboys have lost their first two games, that the record thus far is true to life, at least with regards to the opening season records for Cowboys teams in the last few years, :)

Thanks Jim Kitchen for finally doing what many (including myself) have wanted someone to do for some time: coming up with an accessible and enjoyable football game. If you love football and can't get enough of it between July and February, then I highly recommend this game!

No comments:

Post a Comment