Saturday, December 3

Reflections

Greetings. Usually when I post, I have a clear idea of what I want to say. Not tonight. Pardon any random thoughts or topic shifts that happen.

It's been a month to the day that I was last at my job at the Assistive Technology Center, and this fact along with where I currently sit, has caused me to do some reflecting. A month ago, I wasn't sure where I would go or how I would get there. I had questions of where my income would come from, what kind of job would be my next job, and more. In other words, I was thinking of many of the things that I'm guessing many people think after being laid off. A month later, on December 3, I have some of the same questions, but I'm better off than I was back on November 3.

In the last month, I've had a phone interview, gone for an in person interview and mock training demonstrations, and made other progress on the job front. I have, in various stages, contacted and am waiting on replies from three different companies/groups on job opportunities. Of these opportunities, one is with a state training center (haven't heard anything back yet on that, for those wondering), in customer service and in help desk/technical support. I expect I will hear something soon from the state training center, since when I interviewed with them, I got the impression that they wanted to get someone down there in somewhat of a hurry. So, I don't think it will be too much longer before I hear back from them. As far as what I will hear, I have no idea.

At the same time though, I'm left with some of the same questions I had a month ago, such as income and how this Christmas season will turn out, and what might lay ahead for me in January. I find myself thinking about the upcoming national convention of the National Federation of the Blind next summer which will be in Dallas, and wondering if I can afford to go to it. I find myself thinking about a spring seminar that I've been asked to speak at in April, and wondering if I will be able to afford that as well. If I get a full time job between now and then, I know I will. However, having never had a full time job before, I find myself thinking about the money that I might make and questioning how it might be to have a constant flow of full time money flowing in. I'm not dumb enough to think that I won't have any expenses at all, but these are just some of the thoughts that I've had.

So, I come to the end of this post not really knowing if I accomplished my goal at the start of this post. At least I've put my thoughts out here on paper/the Web. So that feels better I suppose. One more thought before I close. I've also thought about the amounts of money that I could make at some of these jobs, and how one job potentially could pay more than another. Not having gotten any offers, I can't really go far with this thought, I'll admit, but its still a thought that keeps coming back to me.

So, this is the thoughtful and reflective Wayne, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment