Sunday, August 14

Explaining and Traveling

Well, we've come to the time when I inform you, the reader, about my pending trip, and explain the reason why I've been posting so much in the last few days. The reason, is from tomorrow, August 15 to the end of next week, around August 25 or 26, I will be active each day and likely won't be able to post too much.

One of my parents' birthday presents to me this summer was to cover the cost of me going to see them. For those that don't know, my parents are currently missionaries in Guatemala. They moved down there last year and agreed to serve at least 3-4 years. This Wednesday I will be leaving to go visit them, and will return on August 23, which is the following Tuesday. Consequently, my work schedule will be messed up as I work in the days around my pending trip. Even though I only work part time, I need the money. As I understand it, there will be a workshop at my work on August 26, and I might be called upon to work that day as well. So, in all likelyhood, even though I return on Aug. 23, I won't have a break to get some "rest" until the weekend of August 27-28. Not that I'm complaining, that's just how things worked out.

So, that's why I've been posting so much in the last few days, since I may or may not be able to post in the next two weeks. That's not to say that I won't post. Quite the contrary. I will attempt to keep a log of my trip, travels through the airports, going through customs, and experiences/observations in Guatemala City itself, when I have or can get Net access. So as not to bore you with the details, I've setup an email address that will allow me to post remotely. I'm not going to give the address out, since part of the purpose of a vacation is to get away after all. But also because, as public email addresses go, it will probably be flooded with spam. Anyway, if this works, it will allow me to compose posts on my PAC Mate (note taker) and send them out later. Or, if opportunity allows, to send the posts through my parents' Net connection. However, if I don't post and you don't see any new material for a few days, don't worry. Rest assured, I will make every attempt to chronicle my journey on my PAC Mate and post when I can, even if that means in the Guatemala airport or when I return.

Anyway, all that aside, I'm very excited about my trip, both the travel aspect and seeing my parents. Plus, I've never traveled internationally before and there's bound to be some stories in airport stuff alone. Not to mention any possible language barriers in Guatemala. It's occurred to me that I'm going to a place where English is not the native language, where it really is English as a Second Language. One of my friends who has traveled to Switzerland before, has said that the language thing is weird; to be in a place where everyone speaks a different language from you.

Anyway, that's my story. If you have any questions about my trip or individual entries, then reply to the posts that you do see, or to this one, and I'll attempt to answer them when I can. I will post a few more times today and perhaps even in the next couple of days, but Wednesday, the real fun begins, :)

No comments:

Post a Comment