Monday, August 8

Farewell to a Legend

Greetings. As I sit in front of my television, watching ABC's World News Tonight, I'm reminded of the man known as Peter Jennings. I only knew him from his newscasts, but he will be missed. ABC will aire an hour long special on Tuesday evening this week, at 7 CDT, remembering this newsman who might have changed the news media today. Whatever you may think of Peter, put aside your opinions and recognize what he contributed to the media, by for one thing starting the World News Tonight broadcasts on ABC. I'm too young, at 30, to know if Peter and ABC were the first to start such nightly broadcasts, but who cares. One doesn't need to be the first to be the best or to cover stories the best. I'm not saying that Jennings was the best, but I really liked listneing to him talk. Being a blind person, I just couldn't deal with Tom or Dan, but Peter's voice had a certain crispness to it; a 'this is the news' type of feeling.

But for more of the personal reflections: As some may know, in my many majors that I tried, journalism was one that I took some classes in. It was always interesting to tune into the nightly wrap up on ABC and hear Peter recap the news. This wasn't my only news source, but it was one that I looked forward to in a way.

I've been wrestling all day with whether to write an entry on this or not, but finally figured, "Why not?"

So, for those who were fans of Peter Jennings, or to those that were fans of keeping up with the news and the media, or to Peter himself: farewell; you have contributed, and you will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment